If movement and supply logistics is your bag, then this is the job for you, working with one of Australia’s largest organisations. Training provided.
Next Page: Entry
Other Ranks (Non Technical), Other Ranks (Non Technical) (Reserve)
Role. The role of the Royal Australian Corps of Transport (RACT) is to control and operate Army owned surface transport, other than unit transport, and to provide movement control, terminal, postal and Army aspects of air logistic support to the Army.
The RACT plays a pivotal role within the distribution network of the Australian Army. The men and women of the RACT plan and deliver the required personnel, stores and equipment, Combat Service Support (CSS) through the distribution process utilising road, rail, sea and air transportation.
The RACT has many tasks to perform including operating the Army fleet of landing craft and amphibious vehicles, all forms of road transport, distribution centres and specialist units that prepare, pack and dispatch supplies dropped from the air. To perform these tasks, the RACT is equipped with a large selection of vehicles including Land Rovers, light trucks, heavy cargo and specialist vehicles (Mack MC3 and Mack Fleet Liner MC2), 60 tonne semi-trailers, amphibious and small landing craft.
The Operator Movements (OP MOV) is an Australian Regular Army (ARA) or Army Reserve (ARes) RACT soldier, who plans, coordinates, executes, controls and monitors the operational and strategic movement of personnel and equipment of the ADF.
The OP MOV trade comprises a number of disciplines and an OP MOV may be employed within Headquarters Joint Movement Group and Joint Movement Control Offices regionally or within infantry battalions, training establishments and other major units.Main Job Functions
- Coordinate the movement of individuals, formed bodies of troops and equipment on military exercises and overseas operations;
- Prepare movement documentation relevant to the movement of military cargo and personnel, both within Australia and overseas;
- Monitor the movement of military cargo and personnel both within Australia and overseas;
- Advise Australian Defence Force (ADF) organisations on customs and quarantine requirements and movement documentation into and out of Australia;
- Maintain liaison with civil transport agencies and arrange civil transport bookings; and
- Liaison with Air Force and Navy organisations.
The postal stream forms a part of the RACT but is open to other employment categories from within the Army. The postal stream provides postal services to deployed forces within Australia and overseas.