Our Purpose & Work
The Australian Defence Force is one of the world's leading military organisations. We fulfil key defensive roles as well as providing a range of peacetime services.
Defending Australia and our interests
The ADF provides a formidable military capability built upon expertly-trained personnel and technically-advanced vessels, vehicles, aircraft and weapons. Working in close cooperation, the Navy, Army and Air Force are tasked with the defence of:
- our nation, its borders and coastline
- our people and their values, and
- our way of life.
Helping communities and supporting international operations
In addition to defending our nation, the ADF supports a broad range of operations in Australia and overseas, including:
- supporting international security and counter-terrorism initiatives
- protecting our borders from illegal activity and incursions
- supporting humanitarian and peacekeeping operations, and
- helping communities affected by natural disasters.
Protecting trade and commerce
The ADF provides many services that are critical to the safety of shipping - which accounts for 90% of our imports and exports - and the protection of our airspace. These include:
- maritime and aerial patrols
- maritime search and rescue services
- hydrographic surveys for navigation purposes
- anti-piracy and smuggling operations
- meteorological support operations, and
- maintaining a strategic strike capability.
Adapting to complex strategic environments
The defence landscape is changing at an unprecedented rate, with potential threats coming from areas barely envisaged a decade ago.
As a modern and forward-thinking organisation the ADF is constantly evolving to meet these complex challenges, and to maintain our ability to deploy effectively when required to. We invest in the latest military technology, and provide world-class training to ensure all personnel are equipped with the skills to adapt to future strategic needs.