The Australian Defence Force is one of the world's leading military organisations. We fulfil key defensive roles as well as providing a range of peacetime services.
The ADF provides a formidable military capability built upon expertly-trained personnel and technically-advanced vessels, vehicles, aircraft and weapons. Working in close cooperation, the Navy, Army and Air Force are tasked with the defence of:
- our nation, its borders and coastline
- our people and their values, and
- our way of life.
In addition to defending our nation, the ADF supports a broad range of operations in Australia and overseas, including:
- supporting international security and counter-terrorism initiatives
- protecting our borders from illegal activity and incursions
- supporting humanitarian and peacekeeping operations, and
- helping communities affected by natural disasters.
The ADF provides many services that are critical to the safety of shipping - which accounts for 90% of our imports and exports - and the protection of our airspace. These include:
- maritime and aerial patrols
- maritime search and rescue services
- hydrographic surveys for navigation purposes
- anti-piracy and smuggling operations
- meteorological support operations, and
- maintaining a strategic strike capability.
Australia faces a more uncertain global strategic context over the next two decades globally. In order to deal with the challenges arising from this, the ADF must be a highly professional, well-governed and agile organisation that can respond to changing environments, seize opportunities and manage increasing strategic, political, cultural and technological complexity.